Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Yoga in the Park!

There is always something going on in Cathedral Park in downtown Mobile. If it's not a farmer's market, it's a live music festival, a midwifery fair, or an afternoon of free yoga! Let me preface this story by saying that we did not actually end up participating in the yoga. My friend Coco and I heard that yoga was going on from 2-5pm on Sunday and decided to bike over and check it out. However, our departure was delayed by my adventures in the kitchen (learn more about that here!) so yoga had been going on for over an hour and a half by the time we got there. All the little groups of people seemed really peaceful and in the zone, and we felt too awkward to barge in on their stretching, so instead we found a park bench and sat observing.

Even though we weren't personally yoga-ing, we were still overcome with a sense of peace and contentment just sitting there. It was the perfect temperature out, there was just enough sun to be warm but not scorching, and we were sitting in the dappled shade of a few oak trees which would occasionally drop bullet-like acorns on our heads. When the wind would blow, a gentle, fragrant smell wafted towards us, and we realized it was coming from the tropical flower beds nearby. Beautiful! And, it was maybe fifteen minutes before we realized that what we had assumed was a recording of relaxing music flowing across the lawn was actually being performed live by a harpist! Enchanting! I felt like I was living in a real-life Stars Hollow!

I will try to post some pictures once I get them off my camera, because it really was the most perfect day and Cathedral Square is super pretty. All in all it was a lovely experience, and even though no yoga took place on our part, it was the perfect afternoon for a bike ride, and a welcome excuse to get out of the apartment and stretch our legs. Hurray for a temperate climate! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so happy this happened to you! Moments like that are what, I think, keep us centered and filled up.

    Bah, seriously, so awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. so wish you could have heard the varied "mmmm" and "eh!"s i let out reading this--too good, right down to the bullet acorns and the enchanting harp. i want to come visit!

    ReplyDelete