Monday, October 3, 2011

I have sitting-at-a-desk-itis.

There are many things I love about my job. I enjoy the work I am doing, the people I am working with, and the things I am learning. One thing that has been an adjustment though is sitting at a desk most of the time. Through deductive reasoning and conference with other newly desk-bound peers, I have realized that the back pain I have been experiencing lately may in fact be caused by all this desk-sitting.

So far I have tried a few things to combat this:
-biking
-stretching
-back massages
-ibuprophen
-hot showers
-walking around the office every fifteen minutes
-sleeping on my back instead of my front (unsuccessful).

I am looking into getting a heating pad in hopes of relieving some of the muscle tension, and my back did definitely feel better after the hot shower and stretching, but I am a bit bewildered by the suddenness of this soreness!

Any tips??

Painfully and forever yours,
Boo


PS I want to assure you though that I do more than just sit at a desk. I started off this morning by being deployed to Helen Wood Park, which is situated at the mouth of Dog River where it dumps into Mobile Bay. My mission was to ascertain where the tide was, specifically to see if the oyster reefs we planted there in January were visible. I also spotted a beautiful white bird! See?

3 comments:

  1. This post was made for my assistance. Raise / lower both your chair and monitor such that you have to arch your back into proper posture. You might want to try pullups / chinups somewhere too to further stretch your back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both, those are very nice ideas. I have been trying standing up while reading at my desk today which seems to be helping! And as for right now, my self-medicating extends only to ibuprophen :P

    ReplyDelete