Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hello!

Hi! So several people now have asked me if I am planning to keep a blog during my time in Mobile, and after a few weeks of contemplation, I impulsively decided to create one five minutes ago. So here it is!

I've been living in Alabama for about a month at this point. I am really enjoying it so far, although I miss my friends and family like you wouldn't believe. One thing that helps with my homesickness however is the fact that I really love my job and my coworkers. I am spending the year working as an AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer for a small non-profit organization on the Gulf Coast, which has been an amazing learning experience in the 4 weeks that I have been here so far.

It's amazing to me that I have already been here for a month! It feels like it's gone so fast! To be fair, I did kind of get thrown into things right away. At a non-profit organization there is always work to be done, and especially working for an organization which has been so involved in responding to the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster, there are a lot of a meetings and there is a lot of activity surrounding getting information distributed and getting restoration projects funded. It is very exciting and is helping me discover what I want to do with myself as I continue growing up :)

Well, I don't have a ton to say right now. Like I said, this was an impulsive decision. So, I'll leave you with a few things I have learned about the South and Mobile so far.
1) Sweet tea is awesome.
2) Recycling bins are super rare.
3) Humidity makes your skin crawl, but also gives your hair amazing new volume and curl that you never thought possible!
4) There is something going on in Downtown Mobile almost every weekend.
5) The elevator in my apartment building nearly always smells like fried chicken. Or cigarette smoke.

Alright, peace out! Leave me comments! Ask me questions! I'll update this when I think of something clever or interesting to say, possibly with pictures!

-Bethany

1 comment:

  1. love the smells, small details and description of your fun "continuing to grow up" life :) !! can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete