Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Yuletide Reflection on the Car Horn

Christmas is always a time of great reflection for me, and today is no exception. Something the other day prompted me to reflect on the time-honored tradition of honking at perfect strangers. Briefly, here is a list of messages that are appropriate to send using your horn:

"My breaks are not working and I cannot stop."

"You are about to hit my vehicle and cause me significant harm."

"This is a one-way street, we should not be facing each other."


Here are a few messages which are less appropriate to convey through honking:

"You are driving the speed limit, and I wish to exceed the speed limit."

"Your style of driving, although not illegal or dangerous, annoys me."

"The light has been green for a full second; it is my opinion that you should move."

"I am offended by your out-of-state plates and think you should leave."

Whether it is rainy, snowy, or brilliantly sunny where you are, be safe driving out there! And remember Plato's wisdom: "Be kind to others, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Much love and Merry Christmas!
Boo

PS I fly home TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello BO!

    I finally realized that if I sign in, I can both post comments and get e-mail notifications when you post something. Good day :)

    Also, I very much enjoyed this reflection. Especially since how you phrase your reasons is so polite. It makes me smile. Especially your last one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the GREATEST!!! you are so funny. seriously. so so funny;

    ReplyDelete