Friday, November 4, 2011

Can't I just root for the Saints?

Nobody who knows me would mistake me for a football fan, or really a sports fan of any kind. So it is just one of life's pleasant little ironies that finds me in the middle of Southern-football country, a place where team affiliation is a more divisive matter than political leaning. Seriously, I have heard stories of heated arguments and the break-ups of long-term relationships over team pride.

Anyway, I bring this up is because--in case you haven't heard--Saturday (tomorrow) is the day that LSU (Louisiana State University), the #1 ranked team in the SEC, will play Alabama (University of Alabama), the #2 ranked team, on Alabama's home field in Tuscaloosa, AL. This is huge. The tensions are running high and rivalries are raging up and down the coast--including in our office! Earlier this morning there was a battle of fight songs playing up and down the hallway. Fans are dressed in their Bama gear and their Tiger t-shirts. There is a Crimson Tide flag hanging from one woman's office door. Needless to say, everyone is so nervous about this game that our collective productivity has taken a significant dive. This is for real, people.

Crimson Tide flag, relocated to the door in honor of the game.

When asked a few weeks back what my team was, I said meekly, hopefully, "Can't I just root for the Saints?" thinking that was a safe choice.

"NO!" was the resounding response. "You have to pick a college team in the SEC."

Earlier this week I was asked again who I woud be supporting in this weekend's game. My answer came easier this time. "LSU, by default." My reasoning being that if I don't support the Tigers, I will never again be welcome in Lafayette, LA.

"Booooooo!" said the ardent Bama fan.

"Don't listen to her, Bethany! Stay strong!" said the encouraging LSU sweetheart.

Tiger Pride & Roll Tide Ride.
I remarked to a friend earlier today that my general criteria for deciding how I feel about a sports team rests primarily on a) the team name (example: Saints, awesome name); b) the colors (black and gold, love it); and c) the mascot. Also, the Saints have the fleur-de-lis on their helmets. So classy. In the case of LSU, I love that their mascot is the tiger!

Anyway, whether your battle cry this weekend is "Geaux Tigers!" or "Roll Tide Roll!" one thing is for sure: this promises to be an epic game, and I am just resonating with the excitement filling the air around me!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Love,
Boo

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so as I watched parts of the game here in Illinois (we had the TV's volume down really low and were reading through most of it - probably one of the only quiet experiences in this country of that intense game) I felt conflicted. Sure, you were supporting the Tigers, but I also felt, from my vantage point, a certain tug for Bama, simply because you're there and I was kind of enamored of all the red paraphernalia when I was there. But right, I don't know anything about this, so I was/am with you, George, and the Tigers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geaux Tigers! Don't even worry about those Crimson Tide heathens. They don't know what they're talking about.

    ReplyDelete